Today I'm going to show you how I did a makeover on an old chalkboard and transferred new lettering from a typed font.
I bought this chalkboard about a dozen years ago....seriously. It was in such sad shape it couldn't even be written on anymore. There was lots of chalk built up on an almost nonexistent surface. It was downright hideous. Always loving the challenge, I decided to see if I could fix and redesign it in lieu of finally sending it to the garbage.
Here's the overall "before" pic of it, complete with a previously failed attempt at lettering by hand.
It only got worse when looking up close. Here is a pic of the surface.
First I first popped the back pieces off using a butter knife.
I found these little wood medallion cutouts at Micheal's Arts & Crafts for $1 a piece. I gave them and the frame a quick coat of black spray paint.
I then used Mod Podge to decoupage on a new background for the top using scrapbook paper.
Once the newly papered background was dry, I popped it back into its place. I used electrical tape to reinforce the seams on the back of the frame instead of gluing. Why electrical tape instead of glue? Black electric tape blended perfectly with color of the frame, it sticks well, and is easily removed if I want to take it apart again in the future. Black duct tape would have also worked well. I then glued the wood cutouts in place and long gone were the haggard looking chefs.
The chalkboard piece was in such bad condition that the back of the piece (the side that previously hung against the wall) was actually in better shape than the front. I decided to flip the board over and use what was originally the back of the frame as the new chalkboard front. I sponged brushed on a good layer of chalkboard craft paint using vertical strokes and allowed it to dry for an hour. I then added a second coat using horizontal strokes and allowed it to dry over night.
Once it was dry, I popped it back into place and once again, reinforced the seam with (once again) black electrical tape. I then rubbed a standard piece of chalk all over the new board front. I dusted and rubbed the chalk on the board with a tissue to condition the surface for new writing.
I typed up the new writing for the board in word processing software and used it as a guide for my lettering. I printed out the typed information, ran a standard piece of chalk all over the back side of the paper and taped it to my board, right side up. Next I took a ballpoint pin and slightly traced around each side of the letter.
Once I traced all the letters, I removed the paper and was left with a faint chalk guideline for my lettering.
I then used in a chalk marker to fill in the lettering, cleaned up the smudge marks left from the tracings and voila!
The board was completely done and ready to hang in the kitchen once again.
Hope you enjoyed this tutorial and your feedback is always welcome! Until next time, happy upcycling, my friends!